Mary Clark was born to Zilpha Watkins and Myron Holley Clark
in 1835 on a Naples, New York farm. The family moved to Canandaigua in 1837. Mary attended the Ontario Female
Seminary. Young Mary met Frederick
Ferris Thompson in 1856 at an Albany
event hosted by her father, who had been elected New York State Governor two
years earlier. The couple was married
in Canandaigua on June 17, 1857.
Mrs. Thompson spent much time in travel throughout the world. She divided her time at
home between the family’s New York City residence, their large estate,
Sonnenberg in Canandaigua, N.Y. and later the old property of Millford at
Pinewood, S.C. At Canandaigua, she built
and equipped a hospital in memory of her husband and contributed to many other
projects. Her benefactions in New York City were many.
She served as a trustee of Teachers College and of the Woman’s Hospital, of
which she was a vice president.
After her husband’s death in 1899, Mary Clark Thompson continued
his legacy to Williams
College. In 1903, she had the Thompson Memorial Chapel
built in his memory. She also funded the
Thompson Infirmary, now Thompson Hall, built in 1911. The Williams Club, founded by her nephew
Clark Williams, was given a permanent home when she donated a building for its
The resolutions adopted by the president and the trustees of
Williams College, in 1923, show clearly her
enrichment of the college:
In the death of Mrs. Mary
Clark Thompson on July 28th, 1923, we realize the loss of one whose
name has become linked with the traditions of Williams college and whose memory
is cherished with gratitude and affection by the hundreds of men who as
undergraduates or alumni have experienced in their own lives the happiness
which she has been instrumental in creating.
Through the medium of the
Thompson Scholarships she brought a college education within reach of many a
youth who otherwise could not have enjoyed that privilege.
The entire academic community
in Williamstown for nearly a quarter of a century has found relaxation and
enjoyment in the annual winter course of entertainments she provided.
In the Thompson Memorial
Chapel she erected upon this campus a building appropriate and inspiring as
center of religious activity and a fitting monument to her husband, whose
affection for his Alma Mater was manifested repeatedly by his generous gifts
and abiding devotion to the welfare of Williams.
In other ways Mrs. Thompson
here gave expression of her ardent enthusiasm for the advancement of learning.
She made possible the closer
association of the alumni by placing at the disposal of the Williams Club in New York City a club
house under circumstances which were most efficacious in stimulation the growth
and activities of that organization on behalf of the college.