The Weston Language Center was named in memory of a beloved Williams alumnus, professor and trustee. Karl Ephraim Weston graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Williams in 1896. He received his Masters in Arts from Williams in 1898 and studied at the American School of Classical Studies in Rome from the time after he graduated until 1902.
He began teaching Romance Languages at Williams just after the turn of the century. He was given full professorship in 1911. In 1912 he began teaching in the Art and Civilization department, which is now the department of Art.
In 1939, Weston was the first faculty recipient of the James C. Rogerson Cup and Medal. This award was given “to the alumnus or member of the class who is of outstanding merit, for service and loyalty to the college and for distinction in any field of endeavor.”
Weston’s lasting legacy on campus, aside from the language center being named for him, is the Clark Art Museum. He was instrumental in persuading Robert Sterling Clark to locate the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute in Williamstown.
In July of 1940 Weston retired from teaching at Williams, but his years of service had not come to an end. He was a trustee for six years, from 1941 to 1947. Karl Ephraim Weston died in 1956.
By Laura Gaul (Williams Class of 1999)
“Rogerson Cup awarded to Professor Weston.” New York Times, 13 Feb. 1939″
“Karl E. Weston dies; art educator, 82.” New York Times, 8 May 1956.