The name of the New Mansion House was officially changed to the Greylock Hotel in 1889 when Anthony D. Bullock purchased the property along with the Kellogg House across the street. Bullock refurbished both establishments, also changing the name of the Kellogg House to the Taconic Inn. In 1895, he decided to move the addition he had built to the Taconic over to the Greylock site. The Greylock Hotel was a simply planned building, rectangular with four stories and a flat roof. Its main attraction was the large porch, which wrapped around the building to the side and front.
Bullock devised a system for the two hotels in which the Greylock Hotel was in charge of all hotel business and the Taconic was used simply for lodging. There were a number of managers employed by Bullock until Henry N. Teague took the job in 1911. Under Teague, the hotel flourished and was expanded to meet the growing demand for summer accommodations in Williamstown. At times, beds were put up in the parlor, music room, and billiard room to house the overflow of guests.
The hotel continued to be very successful until the Depression hit in 1929. In addition to the general economic instability in the country, the hotel was hurt by substantial highway construction on all major routes leading to it. Bullock sold the hotel to H.W. Dutton that same year. However, the property again reverted to the Bullock family in 1934 when a major construction project closed Main Street and financially crippled the business. Nearly inaccessible, the failing venture finally came to an end when Williams College purchased the hotel property in 1937.
By Jaime Margalotti (Williams Class of 2000)
The North Adams Transcript. 21 June 1894.
The North Adams Transcript. 21 June 1899.
Adriance, Dr. Vanderpoel. “The Evolution of Greylock Hotel.” Supplement to the Williams Alumni Review XXXVIII (May 1946).
Brooks, Robert R. R. Williamstown, The First Two Hundred Years. Williamstown: Williamstown Historical Commission, 1974. p.153.