May 7th, 1927

The Williams Record reports on the new road over Petersburgh Mountain pass. Work had begun the previous September on a highway that “cut off some 13 miles” from the trek to Troy. The route had temporary surfacing until 1929 when the winter storms and thaws settled the roadbed. New York and Massachusetts purchased 100 feet on both sides of the roadway to eliminate hot dog shanties and filling stations, and possible eyesores.