May 22nd, 1792

The trustees of the Williamstown Free School write to the Massachusetts General Court asking to convert the School to a college named Williams Hall.

In their petition, the trustees stress the need to keep college-bound students in Massachusetts, the moral ambiance (or lack of urban “allurements“) of the rural location, and the School’s affordability, which would bring education “more within the power of the midling and lower class of citizens“.

more information