Eben Burt Parsons, secretary of the Faculty and Registrar of the College for 21 years, passes away.
Dr. Parsons, Phi Beta Kappa Class of 1859, served under four Williams presidents and was known as a veritable storehouse of information with his amazing memory. “Eby”, as he was called by the students, did graduate work at Harvard, Cooper Institute and Andover Seminary. He was ordained Chaplain of the 116th U.S. Colored Infantry and pastored a church 20 years before returning to Williams. He and his family lived in a house that had been moved from across Rte. 2 to the Dodd House neighborhood on then College Place. Dr. Parsons was buried in the College cemetery and his home became student housing and “Parsons” in 1974. (Source: Williams Alumni Review, 12/1923; Wms. Record, Jan.25, 1913.)