February 21st, 1938

The college seismograph records a 14 second “earthquake” as the 75 foot brick chimney of the Greylock Hotel falls. The Willams Record, on the following Saturday,¬†describes the end of the hotel’s long and colorful career. Professor Freeman Foote attended the demolition with a stop watch and Professor E. Perry recorded the time that the first waves hit the seismograph–“exactly nothing flat to travel down main street to the Geology building”.